You can review vocabulary and important concepts with Quizlet at:
Below is a list of things you need to know to score your best on the Stanford test. Review the list and reflect on it. Make sure you are ready. Please ask for help if you need it.
- What you already learned for the Math STAAR test
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Multiplying fractions
- The dot symbol is a multiplication symbol
Reading and Language Arts
- All the strategies you learned for the Reading and Writing STAAR tests
- Know how to sound out the sounds in a word in slow motion
- Know the 20 most common prefixes and suffixes (list provided in class)
- Know the most common Latin and Greek word roots (list provided in class)
- Determine the part of speech of a word in a sentence to help you better identify the meaning of a multiple-meaning word.
Social Studies – History
- How does knowledge generally change over time?
- How do individuals, groups, and institutions impact the world in which we live?
- How does technology change over time?
- How do societies change over time?
Social Studies – Geography
- Know how to use a map.
- Read political, physical, and special purpose maps.
- Know the difference between place and region.
Social Studies – Political Science
- Principles and symbols of our democracy
- Our system of government
Social Studies – Economics
- Know the difference between natural, human, and capital resources.
- Explain how trade happens between individuals, businesses, and countries.
- Explain the difference between profit and loss.
- Explain the difference between supply and demand.
- Motion of objects and their inertia
- Behavior of atoms during the different states of matter
- Heat flows from substances with high thermal energy to objects with less thermal energy
- Names of the processes between states of matter
- Clouds in the sky are examples of condensation, not evaporation
- A glass of water that becomes empty is an example of evaporation
- Light can be reflected or absorbed
- Electricity is related to the vibration and motion of electrons
- Iron can form a magnet when near a magnetic field
- A magnet can be made using electric current (electromagnet)
- A closed circuit allows the flow of electricity
- An open circuit does not allow the flow of electricity
- Identify the science behind different common tools and machines
- Difference between organism and species
- Life cycle of common organisms (fish, frog, butterfly, flowering plant, bird, human, etc.)
- What organisms need to survive
- How energy moves in a food chain
- How to maintain optimal health
- Properties and origin of different types of rocks and soil
- Objects in the sky
- Changes in Earth and sky
- Earth resources
- How technology impacts life on earth and the use or over-use of resources
Nature of Science
- Difference between a scientific investigation/observation and an experiment
- Experimental process, from question/hypothesis, procedure, data collection and analysis, to conclusion
- Use of all laboratory measuring tools
- Organizing and analyzing data
- Difference between a scientific law and a theory
- Limits and advantages of science in society
The root is the base word to which other parts or affixes are added.
There are two types of affixes: Prefixes and suffixes.
The affixes and root appear in the following order: P-R-S
Prefix – Root – Suffix
The root and affix combinations change the meaning of the word.
welcome = well received
un-welcome = not welcome
un-welcom-ed = not welcomed
possible = that can be done
im-possible = not possible
im-possib-ility = state of not being possible
view = to see
pre-view = view beforehand
pre-view-able = able to be viewed beforehand
Most Common Prefixes
not, opposite of
in, im, ir, il
not, opposite of
indirect, impossible, irregular, illegal
not, opposite of
in or into
lines or verses
Lyrical poetry has meter and rhyme
Free verse poetry does not have meter and rhyme
Below are some very helpful links about the elements of poetry.
Practice more idioms with animals here:
Practice your idioms with animals here:
Practice the use of these words at
I would like to be president to help the people who need help.So i can help kids to be the best they can be.
I will be proud because president is one good profesion to learn.I will be nice president.The president is leader of our country.he signs the laws of our country.laws are rules.
He flies on his own plane:It is called Air force one.It has places for the president to work,eat,and sleep . He meets with other leaders .They try to solve the problems in the world.
The president has to make tough decisions.I will prepare to be president by always trying to do what is right for me and others.
Iknow t will be a good president as long as i serve others and alwaysdo what is right.
My mom and dad were in the living room.I could faintly hear their voices over the sound of the television.’ What should we get her as a reward if she gets all 90″s? My mom asked gently the next day my mom say ‘ Don’t forget to bring your report card’ in the end of the class the teacher say ‘ The report card are ready’
My heart skipped a bead when the teacher heanded me the report card. I carefully opened the brown envelope and scanned the grades:90,80, 78,88,915
When i got to house i say ‘ Look what i got’ I exclimed as i handed my report cart to my mom. ‘Is this your report card? Mom replied in disbelief. Yes this is my report cart then she say ‘What amazing lets go were ever you wand. ‘This is my best day ever’